Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Some Words Are Just Fun to Say

Take "Lederhosen" for example. I can't say Lederhosen without smiling, or almost giggling. It just conjures up silly images of grown men with knobby knees with leather hiking boots and knee-length wool sox with the cuffs turned down, and little William Tell hats with a feather stuck in the band, blowing on an alpen horn, or snogging on a bratwurst and quaffing a stein full of full bodied ale.

It's also fun to work it into conversations:

"Hang on to your Lederhosen, we're GOIN' IN ! , or

"Calm Down! Don't get your lederhosen in a knot!", or

"What should I wear today, my black biker lederhosen, or my brown Swiss mountain meadow Studmuffin lederhosen?"

Deter, here, went with the latter:

Deter

I'm also very glad that we kept the original German name with out translating it to English. "Leather trousers (shorts)" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

So, what are some of your favorite fun words to say? (No bad words, please!!!)

12 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Grammy said...

You are hilarious. I love you. Don't stop writing, please. If I was the only one who read you, it would be worth it for how much you make me grin.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preponderance
Plethora
Deign (would not deign to soil my blade with his miserable common blood)

and of course.......wait for it........

Inconceivable!!!!!!!

Thank you

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Nantie Meg said...

Defenestration!!!

Also my favorite french phrase:

Je suis le pamplemousse. For all of you who don't parle le francis, this means I am the pamplemousse. (Grapefruit).

My roomies and I started yelling I am the pamplemousse as a war cry to psych us up for things we didn't want to do. John Lennon gets to be the walrus, why can't i be the pamplemousse

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

contemplative

persnicketty (sp?)

miocardial infarction

And I second all of Adam's and Nantie Meg's, too. "You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Gabriela said...

Serendipidus is pretty fun to say. Not so fun to spell, but fun to say.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Pam said...

This was great. Some of mine: preposterous
perspicacious
superfluous

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger blackbird said...

chicken
cookie
plink

words with a 'k'...

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger someone else said...

Goodie Gumdrops
Yippee Skippee
Pucilanimous (I don't know what it means and have probably misspelled it, but it has a great sound to it)

p.s. thanks for visiting my blog

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had missed this first post. It makes the second one make SO much more sense. :)Bescherelle! My favorite frenchy word. :)

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why but I love the word Pumpernickle I don't think I spelled it right ,but it's a great word!

I also like to make up words like awsomer, funnierist, looserific and ofcourse bubblerdoven.

I also like the word antidisastabilshmenttarianism!

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great website! Easy to find helpful information. Your web site is helpful. I will be back!
- paparocks.blogspot.com x
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorites is obfuscate.

One of the secretaries at work once complained to me that I always used technical words that she didn't understand. I told her I was sorry, I really didn't mean to obfuscate.

If looks could kill I'd be a dead man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home