Thursday, February 16, 2006

Trust Me on this one - USE SUNSCREEN

If you're a bit squeamish, you may not want to view the picture further down the page. I don't think it's that bad, but you never know. I'd hate for someone to lose their lunch on their keyboard.

About 3 years ago, I was installing an attic staircase in the garage, and Grammy was holding it in place while I was securing it in place from below. She thought I was done and let go. I wasn't done, and caught it with my head. No big deal, just a scratch that healed in a few days. But then about a month later, it seemed to open up again and over the course of the next few years it never fully healed. Most of the time it was just a small indentation in my forehead about the size of a pinhead and occaisionally it would bleed. Finally, when I went to a dermatologist about something else on my arm, I asked him to take a look at my forehead. He said the arm was fine, but that I had a Basal Cell Carcinoma on my forehead caused by too much sun over the years. Then he said, "but if you're gonna get cancer, this is the kind to get, because it doesn't spread out of the skin and it won't kill you". He then recommended that I have it excised or it could get larger and cause some permanent disfigurement

Hence, my trip to the plastic surgeon last October who confirmed the Demetologist's diagnosis and after numbing my head (Grammy might argue that I was already a numbskull) started cutting, and cutting , and cutting and lasering, and cutting. Apparently it was larger than it appeared on the surface. When I got home I looked like this:

Move over Harry Potter, there's a new Wizard in town:

papa's scar

But, not to worry, the surgeon said it would heal just fine and in 6 months to a year it would be almost invisible. And now four months later I see that he was right:

Papa's Scar 2

So, folks, take my advice and WEAR SUNSCREEN, or better yet, BIG HATS!!!

Tune in tomorrow when Papa and Grammy's true identities will be revealed (don't you just love a little suspense? I'm sure you can hardly wait.)

9 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we call you Papa Potter now? It has such a nice ring to it...

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Grammy said...

I didn't really think you were done, baby. I just couldn't hold it up anymore. I'm just not the Charles Atlas I was in my youth. Sorry, Sweetie.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Heather,

Our mutual friend, Margaret, recommended that I read this blog and I am most certainly glad I did.

I run a non-profit skin cancer education facility for young adults called The Cancer Crusaders Organization. In fact, Margaret is a board member! You should check us out at www.cancercrusaders.org and www.skincancerribbon.org.

My life's passion is teaching people about skin cancer prevention, and sunscreen use is one of my favorite topics of conversation. Actually, I talk about it quite often on my weekly radio/internet talk show - "Conversations with Cancer". Yeah, I even got myself wrapped up in a new sun protective clothing business called SunSavvy. We're building a site right now where we will have LOTS OF BIG HATS AND SUNSCREEN!

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU for sharing your father's story. I hope he is doing well, and I wish you all the best.

Most Sincerely,

Danielle
801.623.1237
info@cancercrusaders.org

PS: Would you be interested in being a "skin cancer crusader" with us???

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Daring Young Dad said...

Yowza. That is some mark.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PAPA!! - I'm so glad you started!!! Don't worry I will keep up the sunscreen using!!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

The kids at school are gonna think I hae the coolest dad in the WORLD! The will, of course, be right.

I can't wait to hear your about your real identities. I've been trying to solve that mystery for YEARS!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger blackbird said...

ooof.

glad it's okay --

hats, I like hats.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Regina said...

Ditto on the yowza! Yikes and oh boy is all I can say! Glad it's healing up nicely!

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an important tip. I'm going to remember my sunscreen ever after. Oh how glad we are it's the good kind of cancer... if there is such a thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home