Friday, February 17, 2006

....In Which Grammy and Papa's True Identities are Revealed

I suppose most of us have an alter-ego that we identify with; that in a way shapes our thinking and how we see ourselves. Mine comes from many happy memories from my childhood and parenthood. Mine involves magic (no, I'm not a wizard even though I have scar on my forehead), wonder, joy, anticipation and just downright fun.

Children of all ages love me and are drawn to me, whether they believe in me or not. Most want their picture taken with me, even the big kids and adult kids, although they are often embarrased to admit it. People's eyes light up when they see me and there is nothing like the feeling I get when a youngster who truly believes climbs onto my lap and whispers their wish in my ear.

Most of the year I go about in disguise but come December I can quit pretending and reveal who I truly am, and if Grammy's available she likes to join me as:


Santa and Mrs. Claus

That's right folks we are Santa and Mrs. Claus. I've got the suit and the belly and I'm working on the beard although the real full one may have to wait until I'm retired.

One day this past Christmas season, we were invited to the local community association children's party and to the YMCA. In all that afternoon we had about 400 kids. What makes it all worthwhile are the ones who say, "All I want is for my little brother to have the best Christmas ever." Or the little girl whose house I went to on Christmas Eve who said, "I know you! We were just watching a movie about you." Or the little girl who said, "Oh, I don't need anything but I wanted you to have this", and then gave me little toy car with a ribbon tied around it - just for Santa.

Then there was the one who said in response to the question about what he wanted for Christmas, "OH, I have a list! Are you sure you want me to read all of it?"

There are the ones who aren't quite sure if they believe anymore, and the ones that are only there because Mom wanted a picture and they are embarrased. To them I say, "Don't worry, we'll have this posted on the internet for all your friends to see by tomorrow morning." They give a nervous laugh and go away wondering if I really will.

All I can say is that you're never too old to believe in Santa Claus. I know I sure do. And believe me being Santa is really cool especially because Mrs. Claus is such a total Hottie!!! Isn't she gorgeous?

9 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Oh yeah she is! Seriously. You guys are too cute. I will never let Laylee and Magoo read this post. Never.

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger blackbird said...

you are too bearded up for me to see clearly --
but Grammy? is waaaay to young to be Mrs. Claus.

so, you guys had kids when you were 12, right?

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Grammy said...

Ok, I am totally embarrassed and red-faced. But I'm completely in love with you at the same time. I love playing Mrs. Claus with you, because I love seeing you with the kids. You are wonderful! That's why everyone wants you to come back every Christmas. I know I look forward to it and to spending the rest of the year with you as well.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is one gorgeous Mrs. Claus. Woooweee! And you're not so bad yerself.

Love this.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Daring Young Dad said...

Santa has a blog?!!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Regina said...

OK, Santa- where's my present that I asked for last year? Hand it over already! Stop smooching with the Mrs. and get busy! ;)
p.s.- yes, you are a very cute couple! And I'm not just saying that to get my present!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Gwennaëlle said...

I have two youngest sisters. Eÿnora is 15 and Fhéänn is 12. A few years ago (probably like 5) I was lying in bed besides Fhé's bed, it was her first Christmas when she knew that "Papa Noël" did not exist (thanks to Eÿnora), and then I heard a little voice with a very serious and wise and determined kind of tone of voice saying: This year I shall believe in Santa Claus again.
It was like a farewell to a part of her childhood. There is no word in French nor in English to explain how mature and yet innocent the way she said that was.

this year she told me how she was told that Santa Claus did not exist. Well Eÿnora told her but the worse was in the bathroom of her school whenshe heard little girls braging about the fact that they did not believe in SC anymore. She told me that this moment was like a break in her little heart and this was why she wanted to give herself a last Christmas of dream and childhood innocence. This is truly what she said and this is pretty amazing because she usually has the hardest time explaining the most simple feeling or thought.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love being an elf. It's one of the bestr parts of having santa as your dad.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me believe in Santa again, and my husband, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home