Tuesday, April 04, 2006

TELL ME A STORY, GRANDPA

When my kids were little, they always used to want to hear stories about the "olden days" - you know - when I was a kid. Well, that's about the time that I would break out the old standby's:'

"When I was a kid, we had it rough! Yup! We used to have to walk to school through 10 feet of snow, uphill..... both ways!!. You kids think you got it tough? You don't know nothin'".... Blah, Blah, Blah , Blah, Blah!

Seriously, they used to like to hear about what kinds of things I did, and where I lived - the farmhouse with no indoor plumbing for a while, trips to the outhouse when it was 30 degrees below zero. Getting trampled by a bull calf, stepping on a rusty nail, learning to swim in a muddy pond. Going on trips with my parents to the Grand Canyon, Lewis and Clark Caverns, Disneyland. Meeting Grammy. The list goes on..

A few weeks ago, I blogged a bedtime story for Laylee, Magoo and the Bean. It got me thinking about telling them stories and how when they get older, how neat it would be to have them say, "Tell me a story, Papa."

When I was young, we lived close (a couple of blocks) from my Mom's Dad. I used to go over and visit on a regular basis and Grandpa would tell stories. I remember one about a girl he used to know. He said "She weren't much for pretty, but she were hell for smart!" I thought, "Grampa said "hell"!, hee, hee, hee!" He used to call me up and ask me to come over and listen to his latest Bill Cosby album, you know, the one with the story of Noah and the Ark. We'd be in the living room listening to it and Grandma would be in the kitchen slamming pots and pans around saying, "I don't know how you can listen to that Sacrelig!!" But me and Grandpa laughed and laughed! I really miss him.

But this blog isn't just about him. It's more about this guy:

Grampa

This is my Dad's Dad. He's in his World War I uniform. He was killed at Vimy Ridge in France in WW I when my Dad was only 4 years old. Dad was only 2 1/2 years old when Grandpa went away to war, so my Dad never got to hear stories about when his Dad was little, and I never got to hear stories from this Grandpa either.

From things we've been able to piece together over the years, we know that he must have lived an interesting life. His Mom died when he was young. He went to live with his Grandparents, but for whatever reason, left their home when he was about 14, lived in California for a while, spent some time in South America, where he "came in possesion of a large ruby". Paid his passage to South America by signing on as a hand on the ship. Worked as a dynamite blaster on road construction crews in Idaho, where he met my Grandma (who also died before I was born). Immigrated to Canada, homesteaded in the Canadian Rockies. Joined the army and fought as a sniper in the Battle of Vimy Ridge where he was killed by a German sniper.

I never knew him, but I miss him terribly as well. There are so many things I want to know about him: Why did he leave home? Why did he change his name? Why did he go to South America? How did he "come in possesion of a large ruby"? Why did he move to Canada and never contact his family again after a single letter written to them when he was about 21 years old? Why did he go to war? Why didn't he keep his head down? Again, the list goes on......

Someday, I'll meet him. And when I do, I'll say, "Sit down, we've got some catching up to do. "

"Tell me a story, Grandpa. Let me find out who you really are."

10 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Nantie Meg said...

I love it when you tell stories Dad. Please let me sit in on that concersation in heaven.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Gabriela said...

What a sweet post. Brought tears to my eyes. I think it will be so interesting after this life to meet everyone; so many people we didn't get the chance to meet here that probably have been watching us and cheering us along. I like to think about that kind of stuff.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Grammy said...

I love that picture and the little bits of his story that we know. You're right, there is a whole lot more we need to find out. I love knowing where we came from and wonder how much of our personalities come from our parents and grandparents. But you didn't even mention that you were named after him. I think that's significant.

Love you!

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daddy, I still love it when you tell us stories.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Dad. You are such a great writer. Please write more, whether in the blog or elsewhere. This was really emotional for me to read.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so excited to teach the children Adam and I may someday have about who they are and who came before them. Recently while I’ve been in MT with my parents, my mom and I have been able to look through old letters, postcards, deeds and other things from my Great, Great Grandfather who also lived in MT. I love knowing the little stories of mining claims and Indians! Their is something contagious about knowing who came before you!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love this post! I want to know those things, too. Good reminder to us to keep a journal right now, so our grandkids will have more to go on. :)

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Dad. I love to hear your stories. especially the ones you have told eleventy billion times. In your defence you only told them that many times cuz it was the only way to get us to stop asking.

In all seriousness. I am greatful to have had you around to tell us stories and raise us up right.

I'll have to start working on stories to tell my kids

When i was your age. we had cars that didn't even fly!!!

We had to ingest our food!!!

etc etc...

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Bright One said...

I loved this post! I used to listen to my Grandpa tell stories all the time, he peppered his with phrases like "Oh, shite (that's a LONG "i")I've plumb forgotten the best part". I could listen to him for hours and he made up the bestest stories. I hope when Nutella provides me with grandchildren one of us....me or hubby....will make up some good ones so they'll wanna listen for hours.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Beth said...

You don't know me, but I'm posting anyway. I read DYM's blog.

I just got back from a trip to California, where my 4-year old daughter got to listen to stories told to her by her great-grandma and great-grandpa, and all her great-great uncles and aunts. I love to sit around in the evenings with them and listen to all their hilarious stories about all the trouble they got into when they were young...and not so young. I love it even more, because they are my husbands family, so I get to see why he is how he is. And I don't have grandparents of my own to hear stories from. So I live vicariously through them.

Great post. Your grandchildren will LOVE to hear stories from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home