Monday, February 13, 2006

,,,IN WHICH PAPA MEETS GRAMMY'S MOM

I think that in order to really know someone, or know yourself, for that matter, you need to understand where you came from. Many of you have been getting to know DYM and Heather from One Woman's World for some time, but I relate the following so that you might understand that they come by their wit and their unique way of expressing themselves honestly.

I had never met Grammy's family until about 2 weeks before the wedding, and they didn't call it off, so I must have done something right.

The day I flew in, Grammy picked me up at the airport and took me home to meet the parents. The first evening was a bit formal, "Hi, nice to meet you.", "I want you to entrust your only daughter to me for the rest of her life and send her off to live three thousand miles away in a foreign country.", "How do you like me so far?".... the usual kind of stuff.... you know.

Anyway, the next morning, was Sunday and we were all getting ready for church. I was ready early - trying to make a good impression, and standing in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs.

Grammy's Mom starts coming down the stairs in a below the knee floral dress belted at the waist. Now you need to understand that Grammy's Mom, unlike Grammy was not a small woman. Nor was she fat, just solid, perhaps matronly, and rather tall. She had given birth to Grammy somewhat later than was the custom, sometime in her early forties, so she was now in her early sixties, white haired with streaks of grey, and very "proper". Got the picture?

As she's coming down the stairs, I noticed that her slip was hanging down below the hem of her dress a good two inches. Realizing that such a proper, even elegant woman would not want to be embarrassed by that situation in public, I decided it was my duty to inform her so she could make the proper adjustments before leaving the house. Having only known her for less than 24 hours, and not yet knowing what to call her, as any respectful prospective son-in-law would do, I discreetly called to her and said, "Um, Mrs. ________, your slip is showing."

At this, she never missed a beat. She pulled her self up to her fully height, squared her shoulders and in the most serious tone she could muster, said "It proves I'm a nice girl and wear one!"

Well, at that moment, I knew this was a family I could love. It didn't take long for me to call her Mom, although she would answer to just about anything, including, "Hey Lady!!!" if nothing else worked.

It's now over 30 years later and she has long since left us, but she still lives on in our memories, and in her daughter and grandchildren. If Great Grammy were here today, she probably wouldn't have a blog, but she'd be proud of her family and would not hesitate to correct some of the twisted english that sometimes appears in the posts of DYM, One Woman's World and now Grammy Rules, even though they learned at least some of it from her.

6 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see your post. Lisa had never heard that one before. I must have been slacking.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Grammy said...

And, that folks is why I am still madly in love with the man to this day. Hey, Honey, Good job. I knew you could blog!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I love that story, especially the way you wrote it. I'm so glad you're writing this stuff down.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, if your family dies from allergies to gummy worms, that'll be sad. But our family will be glad to have you! Dad, what an awesome story. I love your description of the first night converstion, "the usual kind of stuff." :) I love you

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger GwennaĆ«lle said...

Cool story. Liked it. Ask heather who I am. To lazy to type and introduce myself.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Daring Young Dad said...

This is a _great_ story! I'm so glad you posted it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home